Tuesday, December 1, 2015

#AMonthofFaves - My Reading Year

amonthoffaveshome




I discovered this cool end of year wrap up for the month of December while over at Chrisbookarama's blog Join hosts  GirlxoxoTraveling with T and Estella’s Revenge in looking back at the year that was, sharing your favs.
 Check out the Event Schedule.

 Tue. | Dec. 1 – #AMonthofFaves {My Reading Year} – 

Some numbers first: 107 books so far
59 audiobooks
Most read author: Agatha Christie, all 12 Miss Marple mysteries on audio
most book month: July, 17
least book month: October, 3
female: 73
non-fiction: 17
5 books from the 2015 Bailey Prize list
15 books that I owned before 2015
library books: 23
bookclub books: 9

Audiobooks have really changed my reading. The last couple of years I've read 83 and 94 books, so numbers are up. (They also contribute to my Candy Crush playing, as I turn on a book when I find myself starting to play. Just the right balance of attention to game and attention to book.)

I read a good number of books in continuing series; Louise Penny's The Nature of the Beast; Mo Hayder's Skin and Gone; Jacqueline Winspear's A Dangerous Place; Rhys Bowen's  Naughty in Nice;
 Alexander McCall Smith's The Handsome Man's De Luxe Cafe; Deon Meyer's Cobra; Alan Bradley's As Chimney Sweeper's Come to Dust; Andrea Camilleri's Game of Mirrors; Inger Ash Wolf's The Taken. 

Did you check out the number of female authors this year? Two thirds of the books I read were by women. It's not something I actively look for; it's more that my favorite authors are women and that's what I read. Between the library, bookclub, and audiobooks, I don't ever buy too many books. Adding to that I read a good number of books that were bought in other years, and reading any books I bought this year as I got them, my acquiring of books has been very low. 

My twelve year old daughter also had a good reading year, and she discovered the joy of reading series. After finishing last year with Harry Potter, she moved on to the Dear Canada series, a wonderful set of historical Canadian fiction written as young girl's diaries. Each book is written by a different author as well. After she ran out of those, she moved on to the Owls of Ga'hoole books, a fifteen book series about Owls. Her next series was supposed to be Anne of Green Gables, but she stopped after the first one, and decided to reread Harry Potter. I can't fault her on that - Harry Potter will be her generation's great book series. 

It has been a great year of reading, and I'm looking forward to sharing some more favourites throughout the month.