Tuesday, March 29, 2016

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Ten Of The Best Books I've Read Recently


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is ten of the best books I've recently read. One of them I just finished last night! Sometimes a run of good books is really about picking books that you are pretty sure you will like or reliable authors. These books just make you want to read another great book.





Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories - Agatha Christie
Really, you can't go wrong with Agatha Christie. Last year, I listened to all the Miss Marples on audiobook. My library has since let the registrations lapse on all the Christie books. That seems just wrong. So, to get to the last few Miss Marple mysteries, I had to buy the book. Well worth it.

next to try: Tommy &Tuppence books




Her - Harriet Lane

Great little psycholgical thriller, all the more scary by the ordinariness of the people. 

next to try: something by Patricia Highstreet, maybe Strangers on a Train



The Hero's Walk - Anita Rau Badami

I really liked it as I read it, and then listening to Vinay Virmani defend it on Canada Reads just solidified my love. All the panelists agreed it was the best written book.

next to try:  More Badami!
Tell it to the Trees, Can You Hear the Nightbird Call? 



The Lost Garden - Helen Humphreys

Lovely Humphreys' British homefront book.
next to try: The Lost Dogs by Humphreys




The Door in the River - Inger Ash Wolfe

Fabulous Canadian mystery with a near retirement female Captain, Hazel Micallef

next up: The Night Bell, the most recent in the series




The Frozen Thames - Helen Humphreys

Short, historical vignettes matched with artwork.

next up: Are there more books like this? point me in the direction



Reykjavik Nights - Arnaldur Indridason

First prequel to the Icelandic police detective Erlendur series. I just lent this to a colleague who has a trip booked to Iceland. I'm so jealous!

next up: Oblivion, another prequel set to be released this summer



The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks - E Lockhart

I was reading the back battle at The Tournament of Books, and saw that Frankie competed back in 2009. It didn't make it past the first round, but it was a Zombie book that got to come back and compete as a fan favourite. Pretty good showing for a YA book.

next up: How to Be Bad by Lockhart, Myracle,& Mlowski



Ask the Passengers - AS King
Another good YA book. I am back into 2015 for best books

next to read: I Crawl Through It by A.S. King




 The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Miracle Christmas Dog - Dave Barry (audiobook)

A touching, humorous Christmas book. 

next to read: I won't start thinking about this til December