Tuesday, July 26, 2016

TOP TEN TUESDAY:



The Top Ten Tuesday topic, hosted at The Broke and the Bookish, this week is Top Ten Things Books Have Made Me Want To Do or Learn About After Reading Them. 



Redwoods/Giant Sequoias - I just wrote a post about this! Both At the Edge of the Orchard and The Cookbook Collector had the trees as important parts of the story.

Paris in the Twenties - After reading The Paris Wife, I wanted more! I found Z: Zelda which was more of the same people (Hemngways and Fitzgeralds). 

Sicily -  Italy would be great for many, many reasons, but Salva Montalbano, chief detective and the food he eats make me want to see it. There are actually tours you can take to 'follow' Montalbano around.

Greenwich - A World Heritage Site, the location of O degree longitude and center of time scientific study, inspired by Longitude by Dava Sobel

Lyme Regis, England - the fossils in Southern England, including Mary Anning's home/museum from Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier

London - So many books have contributed to my wanting to visit London but foremost is Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and the tube system. Also, my Bridget Jones' readings.

Switzerland - Heidi. Didn't eveyone who read Heidi want to go to Switzerland? She's the Anne of Green Gables of Europe.

The Strand, New York City - the bookstore where Dash and Lily met in Dash and Lily's Book of Dares in the heart of NYC. There are probably hundreds of other places mentioned in books in New York that I'd love to see.

French Revolution - I never finished reading Les Miserables, and I haven't seen the musical (gasp!). However, a few books I've read make me want to learn more about that time period of the French revolution and Napoleon.

I'm sure I've missed some big ideas that I would have liked to add. One thing that I haven't been inspired despite reading about, is hiking a trail like in Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I hope to read Bill Bryson's walk on the Appalacian Trail book, but I will not plan or dream of walking it.